Elimination communication is just a 2 step process :
- Recognize your baby’s cues or timing
- Offer the potty
When to start?
- You can start since birth or a wait a few days to get accustomed to your baby
- people get success by starting late also
How to start?
- Observe the baby: If you look out throughout the day, you will notice a pattern like after feeds, after naps, etc.
- Introduces cues with sounds like psss (BabyZ makes this sound while peeing now)
- Be consistent in your routine.
- Babies can be a little hesitant or not responsive when you first begin but they will get used to the new pattern.
Teaching baby poop signal
- You can teach baby to sign for potty and, that forms a trust in baby also that they understand me.
How we do it?
- Fixed Schedule : We always take him on fixed schedule like
- As soon as he wakes up in morning
- After naps ( BabyZ is usually grumpy then so, takes time to pee)
- Before bath
- Before mealtimes
- According to his cues or signals
- Baby Z since he was 8 month old has been signalling when he want to pee or poop
- Now at 15 months he says susu or potty and we take him
- We always take him, even though he has peed 2 mins before
- It creates a trust in him that they understand me
At 15 months, I am really happy that we took this path of practicing EC with him as we did 4 years back with my elder one.