After my last post on animal milk I got a lot of queries on which milk, how much milk and obviously about my little trick.
When did we start?
- After Baby Z turned 15 months
- Animal milk is a replacement to breastmilk not the other way round.
- Wait till baby is 12 months to start animal milk
We started with buffalo milk
- We get buffalo milk at home
- We don’t have a personal reliable source for cow milk
- You can start with either
How much milk?
- Right now I offer him 100 ml
- 2 times a day
- Before Bed
Note: My elder one also has milk before bed so I want to have a same routine.
How did we start?
- BabyZ knew how to drink water from an open cup
- Used the same cup
- Started after he started showing interest in his brother’s cup
- He tasted it from his brother’s cup 2-3 times but didn’t drink more than a sip
Why plain milk?
- Easily available
- No added sugar
- Babies become habitual to different tastes and if it’s not available they don’t like milk
- Health drinks like Pediasure do more harm than good
- Less hassle for me than making shakes and smoothies
- Add one spoon of milk to cup in which baby drinks water
- Rest add water
- Water will be white in color
- Tastes exactly like water
- After a week when baby happily drinks above solution
- Increase milk quantity and reduce water quantity
- Go slow
It took around 1 month for BabyZ to get used to the taste of milk. Note : If you pump or use formula, you can use them instead of water.
- Keep on offering
- Wait for few days if baby shows discomfort
- Don’t force feed
- Prefer a time when baby is happy and calm
- Milk is not a substitute to solids
Remember don’t fuss too much over milk. Other substitute work fine too. Just like other food I would request not to force or distract feed and let baby drink according to his choice. On how much he wants.
#letstalk! Do you have any tips for me?